Sunday, October 30, 2011

Fall Feathers

On the weekend of my sister's wonderful wedding I got a chance to get some closeups of a few songbirds at Bubba and Shirley Cameron's bird feeder.  We were there to clean up after the festivities...but I took some time out and grabbed my D300s and set up for a few shots.

Click on any photo for a larger view.

Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) 
 I love this shot...the colors and subject just make me happy!!


Carolina Chickadee (Poecile carolinensis)
 These small passerines are sometimes hard to photograph.  They flit around from limb to limb and before you can focus...poof, they're gone!  I watched this one land on the same limb three or four times...so instead of following his path around in circles...I focused on the limb and waited for him to land.  It worked...and I love his attitude in this shot!


Juvenile Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)
 I like this shot because the juvenile male isn't quite as brilliant as most cardinal photos you see.  His unique grey and the pose made the shot for me.


Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) 
Another shot where I focused on a limb and waited for the cardinal to come back.  Sometimes shooting in a back yard can be just as rewarding as being out in the woods...and just as challenging!

Thanks again to the Camerons for letting me capture some great images (oh...and letting Britt get married) at their place!

Until next time...have a great one!



No comments:

Post a Comment