Sunday, October 30, 2011

Fall on Sauvie Island

I had the opportunity to get some pretty nice shots on Sauvie Island, just north and west of the Portland city limits.  I went out to deliver something to the ODFW office and decided to scout around for some future photo opps...

Click on any photo for a larger view.

Sandhill Cranes (Grus canadensis) dancing in a field.
This is one of my favorites of the year!  I never imagined it would look so much like a painting.  I slowed the shutter speed just enough to keep some movement on the wings so you could see the dance the way I did in the field...


Great Blue Herons (Ardia herodias) skirmish line
I had to look twice to determine these weren't Sandhill Cranes...I'd been photographing cranes just a few minutes before.  These herons were stalking forward in this formation apparently trying to flush out prey.


Juvenile Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis) 
This hawk dive-bombed something in a plowed field and was then nice enough to pose for a couple shots.  I never saw what he was after, but apparently he missed!  I love the browns and rust colors in this photo.


Cackling geese (Branta hutchinsii) - formerly Small Canada Geese
I thought these guys might fly right in the truck with me!  There were literally thousands of geese, cranes, and other birds on the island when I was there.  I love the way the geese pop out of this photo...and the colors aren't bad either!

All in all it was a great day on Sauvie...for what was supposed to be a scouting trip!  I'll be heading back in a few weeks with a focus (pun intended) on raptors.  

Until next time...have a great one!





No comments:

Post a Comment